Konan was a former member of the Akatsuki, and the only female member . After the defeat of Nagato, she returned to Amegakure and became the village's leader. She is a member of the Himura Clan, after she became the wife of Yahiko .
After her defecation of Akatsuki and becoming the leader of Amegakure, Konan got rid of her Akatsuki uniform. Her hair style is different, and she has removed her lip piercing. She wears a black robe, similar to the one she wore in the Akatsuki, and under it, she wears a causal ninja outfit. She still has the origami flower in her hair.
When she was a kid, Konan's family was killed during the Second Great Shinobi World War. Some time later, she met Yahiko, and when she went for a walk not long after that, she met Nagato. The three became close friends and eventually met the Sannin, whom gave them food, to which Konan thanked them with an origami flower made from bread paper. Jiraiya deiced to teach the tree some ninjutsu so they could fend for themselves. When they could defeat one of his Shadow Clones, he left.
Over time, the three formed a larger group and became renowned for their strength and effectiveness, with news of their actions even reaching Jiraiya. Hanzō, leader of Amegakure, feared that they would overthrow him. As such, he and Konoha's Danzo deceived the group into meeting with them about an allegiance for peace. When Nagato and Yahiko went to meet with them, they kidnapped Konan and ordered Nagato to kill Yahiko in exchange for her life. Konan cried out for them to flee without her, but they refused to leave her behind. Although Nagato was paralyzed in shock by the order, Yahiko stabbed himself with the kunai in Nagato's hand. Nagato saved Konan afterwards, who would thereafter accompany him wherever he went.
Years later, as a member of the Akatsuki, Konan was seen in Amegakure together with Pain. When Pain noticed a disrupting chakra, he ordered Konan to search for the intruder. This intruder appeared to be Jiraiya, and the two of them clashed in battle. Jiraiya was able to defeat Konan by using an oil technique on her, making her paper sticky and unusable. Pain rescued Konan by washing the oil away with one of his summons, and after the death of Jiraiya, she regrouped with him.
- Even though she was an Akatsuki member, Konan (like Pain) was never a missing-nin, since their faction achieved victory in the Amegakure civil wars.
- Her name means "Little South".
- Konan's eyes are shown to be a light greyish-blue with golden hints in the manga. In the anime, her eyes are depicted as a deep shade of amber.
- Konan's eyelashes are shown to be a diagonal line at the bottom corner of her eyes, but in the anime, they are shown to be three distinctive lines.
- Konan shares her birthday and blood type with her former teammate, Yahiko.
- Nagato stated that her reason for joining Akatsuki was "love".
- Konan is the second member to have defected from Akatsuki, the first being Orochimaru.
- Konan seems to have a definite affinity for flowers, as she wears one in her hair, and presented paper flowers to both the three Sannin and Naruto as a sign of peace.
- The only time Konan is seen wearing a headband is when she, Yahiko, and Nagato began a gang with a few more shinobi in Amegakure.
- According to the databook:
- (To Naruto) "Nagato believed in you, so I believe in you, too."
- (To Jiraiya) "You have no idea what happened to us after you left, sensei."
- (To Jiraiya) "I have received the will of God and I must kill you."
- (After hearing of Naruto's strength) "Spare us your words of fear and warning. They are wasted on us. Pain has never yet lost a battle."