Lightning Release (雷遁, Raiton; English TV "Lightning Style") is one of the five basic elemental Nature Transformation techniques that allows the user to generate lightning by increasing the high frequency vibrations of their chakra, allowing for piercing damage and fast movement. The electricity paralyses the target so that they are unable to move and leave them vulnerable to a finishing strike.While uncommon, lightning can be infused into bladed weapons in a way similar to Wind Release through Chakra Flow for increased piercing power through vibrations, with the added effect of inducing numbness. When the technique is released from their bodies, and thus not requiring physical contact, it does not move as fast as true lightning. Instead, due to the control the user has to exert over it, it moves far slower, which can give opponents time to still react.Lightning Release is common to the ninja of Kumogakure.
Relationship with other Natures Edit
- Lightning is strong against earth because it can easily travel through and break the ground apart but weak against wind because it is a natural electrical insulator.
- Lightning also has a unique relation with water, since water conducts electricity. This means that a Water Release technique can be used to increase the damage of a Lightning Release technique and vice versa. Though this also means that if one's opponent still has a physical connection with the water, either a pre-existing source or one created with their own chakra, then they can be paralysed via their own technique.
- Lightning is much more powerful when it utilises natural lightning; a powerful Fire Release technique shot into the sky can produce thunderclouds in preparation for this.
- Lightning-natured chakra is a component of the following Kekkei Genkai: Storm Release, Thunder Release, which is used through the manipulation of Raijin, Venus Lightning Release which was created by Ace Korimachi through unknown means, and Negative Black Lightning Release]] by manipulating Meiraijin..
- In Kumogakure, the Third Raikage utilised Black Lightning. He later taught Darui how to use it. There are a considerable number of other colored lightning techniques, such as Purple Lightning, Violet Lightning, Red Lightning, Green Lightning, Scarlet Lightning, Crimson Lightning, White Lightning, and Yellow Lightning.
- Is is said that the seventh Raikage, Kurisu Taizen is the greatest master of lightning release in history, coming in second place would be Arashi Terumi.