The Wood Release (木遁, Mokuton) techniques combine earth and water-based chakra to create wood. Wood Release techniques can be produced from anywhere, including the user's body, as the user's chakra is literally converted into a source of life. Wood Release is commonly affiliated with the Snake seal. The technique which consists on manipulating wood is called Wood Release Technique (木遁の術, Mokuton no Jutsu).
- Hashirama Senju was the originator of this ability in the Senju Clan, evidenced by the fact that no other member of his clan were known to possess this ability. His ability to use these techniques was one of the reasons for him being given the title of the First Hokage, and with Wood Release Secret Technique: Nativity of a World of Trees he was able to grow the trees that served as the foundation of Konohagakure. This technique allowed him to completely reshape the battlefield to his advantage.
- Orochimaru, in his quest to harvest the First Hokage's abilities, injected his DNA into sixty test subjects, and out of the sixty only Yamato survived. This gave Yamato the Wood Release abilities. However, he is not as masterful as the First.
- Orochimaru also performed a similar procedure on Danzō Shimura by implanting the First's cells in his right arm. While Danzō is capable of using this power at a similar level to Yamato, it appears Danzō's version is much cruder and causes a much more significant drain of chakra with each usage, causing Danzō to avoid using it whenever possible. As stated by Madara Uchiha, the First's powers are not so easy to control, and that when Danzō was on the verge of death, the cells in his arm went berserk, trying to swallow him whole by converting him into a tree.
- Wood Release abilities also exist in the Getsueikirite Clan, though it is only as a depreciation of the clan's kekkei tōta, Rust Release. Raian Getsueikirite uses this variation of the kekkei genkai and augments it with his Nine-Tails Chakra Mode; using the life energy from the chakra to strengthen his techniques.
- Hikoda once stole Wood Release from a missing-nin of Otogakure who had had the First Hokage's cells implanted into him.
- Kowareta Mori was part of a ROOT experiment to impart the First Hokage's cells into a new born child. The resulting experiment caused numerous changes to Kowareta's body and imparted an unstable version of the Wood Release onto him. Kowareta was capable of using the Wood Release to a master's level but was prone to instability that led to his body trying to destroy itself if not reigned in.
- Wood Release exists in the Kumade clan, distant relatives of the Senju clan. For generations it was referred to as Bamboo Release (竹遁, Taketon) due to its noticeable differences between the Wood Release used by the Senju. As the name implies Bamboo Release grows bamboo plants rather than trees.
- Ashiki has developed a rare ability with her Wood Release, due to it only being able to control when in Sage Mode. The techniques don't do as much damage to her body, but require near perfect chakra control.
- The Seikatsu Clan possess the ability of Wood Release, and there is evidenceto say that these are the desecendents of Hashirama himself, but the clan denies this.
- Wood Release parallels the real-life ninja art "mokuton-no-jutsu". One example of real-life mokuton-no-jutsu is Tanuki-gakure: the practice of climbing a tree and camouflaging oneself within the foliage.